twitter
    Your occasional dose of cynicism and randomness.

Blind Dates

"Just because I'm single and your friend is too, it doesn't mean we're meant for each other!"

Joel suggested once that I put this on a shirt. I'm strongly considering it.

Being out of college and single has put a serious cramp on my social life. Most of my friends in SL are pretty busy with kids, jobs, and death-defying stunts, while all my single female friends are in Provo. I've been going to the singles ward, but it can be hard to get involved sometimes when everyone seems to already have their group of friends there, and I have no "in" except to just force my way. Normally this wouldn't be too much of an issue for me, but I just don't seem to have the energy for it the past few months.

So with no apparent dating happening on my own (hey, I went on a date in January! I'm done for the year!), people (who only have the best intentions, I'm sure) have started taking matters into their own hands.

Yes. Blind dates. *shudder* I think there should be a law that you must have a license issued by your friend/family member/workmate before you're allowed to try to set them up.

The worst are the people who set the criteria for "perfect" for me as:
1) Female
2) Single
3) Breathing
4) Human (ish)

Is it any wonder I hate blind dates? I get set up with Cheerleaders, walking makeup factories, and brain-dead shoe collectors. Girls I have nothing in common with, can't hold a conversation with, and can't have any fun with.

I would SO much rather go hang out with a group of friends who happen to have another friend there they think I should meet. A lot less pressure, and lets me decide if I want it to turn into a date.

5 comments:

Joel said...

Does that mean you want to come over for dinner, even if we also happen to have our neighbor there, and she happens to be single? (seriously)

Unknown said...

not having ever set you up on a blind date, I'm glad to know that I can't be accused of having that set of criteria (and really - how many times have your grandmas lined you up?)

BUT I would be interested to know what the real set of criteria includes...maybe there's someone we know who would be great for you and we don't even know it!

Anonymous said...

I agree with marie...tell us what WOULD be on your list because i often find myself wondering: "i wonder if jer would like her?"

Jason said...

I love taking blind dates sky diving, it scares the shit out of their dog.

Jacci Halliday said...

Hey you know that Val could help get you "in" at good ol' Holladay 11th!