twitter
    Your occasional dose of cynicism and randomness.

Dealing with idiots.

I'm sick of idiots... unfortunately, I am one.

I got an email today. Here's the entirety of it: "What happened to the winSCP Server?? I can't log on!!!" (Yeah. now you know why I get short with people on emails. I get stuff like this all the time.

I hate when someone at work tells me they can't get to "The" FTP server or "The" Web logon or "The" Links site. I manage about 70 of the first two, and I don't know what you're talking about on the third. Why can't they give more information instead of expecting me to read their minds?

So, I send an email back explaining that there are several servers, and to which is she referring?

"The winSCP server that I upload product information to!"

I ignore the fact that winSCP is a client, not a server, and try again to get more information. After about 3 more emails, I finally learn which server she needs access to. I reply:

"Sorry, we had to move that site. Nobody told me you needed access. You need to log in to [address] and use the same username and password."

She replies with "What's the hostname?"

"I just gave you the hostname. It's [address]."

"What is the username and password?"

...

Seriously, what?? Could she be that dumb? At this point, I tell the story to Joel via IM and we discuss how at least she'll survive the zombie apocalypse.

I send her the login credentials again and she replies that it keeps saying 'access denied'. I look it over, then try to log in myself.

>.<

I gave her the wrong address. I'm really, really glad I was polite in the emails while thinking she was a complete dolt, because I'm the idiot.

2 comments:

JonAli said...

I feel your pain, well except I am never the idiot. I get those calls on an hourly basis.
Me > How can I help you?
User > I CAN'T LOGON!
Me > What are you trying to logon to?
User > ANYTHING!
Me > Is there a specific program you are using (we use hundreds)
User > THE WHOLE SYSTEM!
Me > Is it Windows your trying to logon to?
User > I DONT KNOW!

Yeah, it can be frustrating.

JonAli said...

The customer is not always right...
http://notalwaysright.com/