twitter
    Your occasional dose of cynicism and randomness.

Real Life vs the Internet

I play a game called World of Warcraft. Now, those of you who know what this is are either shaking your heads in disgust or nodding because you play it too. For those who don't know, it is an online game where you run around as a character and complete quests, conquer dungeons, upgrade your armor and weapons, and fight the opposing faction. (Players can be either Alliance or Horde, and you're against each other)

In the game, you form groups called "guilds". In these guilds, you work together with other players. You spend a lot of time working together, and friendships can be formed.

So why do my real-life family and friends look at me funny when I tell them I have plans to go online because people are waiting for me? Is there any difference in making plans to play a game with online friends and going to the movies with local ones? It's not like I'm sitting by myself for hours on end, I'm actually interacting with people and doing something I enjoy. Thoughts?

2 comments:

Joel said...

You bring up an interesting point. Why do we consider something less "real" if it involves computers, even though it's real people you're interacting with just as if you were on the phone? It's probably just a natural reaction people have to not being a part of a group.

Jason said...

Plus you can't go to third base with a girl you meet on w.o.w. Unless your name is Jay.