twitter
    Your occasional dose of cynicism and randomness.

A sight for sore eyes

I posted in my Halloween post about getting contacts. Now, I don't intend to replace my glasses. I generally don't mind wearing them, and I think I look good in glasses. There are times, however, that contacts would be really convenient. So I went and got some.

Even though I don't intend to wear them all the time, I figure that I do need to take the time to get used to them, so I've been wearing them as much as I can stand lately.

Unfortunately, that isn't much.

My eyes itch non stop! I know I'm not supposed to rub them, but I can't seem to help it. Putting drops in my eyes only makes it better for a few minutes.

At this point, my eyes are red and raw. My left eyelid is painful to the touch. I've only had these things for a week, and I'm still trying to build up my tolerance to them, but I'm not sure how much more I can take.

Anyone else go through contact trouble? Any advice?

6 comments:

Joel said...

My problem is an allergy. I have to use an OTC antihistamine if I wear mine much.

Christa Jeanne said...

Ewww, yeah, it takes a while to get used to them. It didn't leave my eyes itchy and raw, but I had to go through a process of getting just the right kind of contacts (turns out my eyes get really dry naturally). Check with your optometrist for different brands or different solutions - they should be able to give you sample lenses so you're not spending tons of money.

Contacts are pretty great, I'll admit! I've worn them most every day for seven years - and even so, there are still days that my eyes just can't handle them, so hang in there! You'll be glad you have them at Disneyland.

Mom of four said...

Clear Care. It's a contact solution without the preservatives that other contact solutions have. Beware: You must read the instructions carefully or you will be putting hydrogen peroxide directly in your eye!!

It's a cool science experiment, too. The solution (hydrogen peroxide) reacts with a metalic ring that's inside the case, the product of which cleans the contacts! I'd like to see the formula for that chemical reaction :)

Jer said...

I must point out that the opthamologist did tell me that with astigmatism as bad as mine, they sometimes get the lenses wrong. I have a strong feeling that the right lens is bad.

Amy Dub said...

Hey friend! I would recommend trying a different brand on contacts. I've tried a couple to get ones that don't dry out my eyes.

Good luck!

JonAli said...

Ali uses the brand 02 optix and swears by them. I just leave my contacts in all day and night, I hate putting them back in....yes I know I will go blind someday...